Floodwaters can cause a lot of damage to any property. Apart from causing massive water damage and destruction of property, it can also pose dangers through mold growth. Mold growth gives way to permanent property destruction, health risks, and lower property value.
The problem with mold is it is insidious. Molds can likewise be pervasive. Allow floodwaters to stagnate for at least 48 hours, and mold will start to grow on porous surfaces. For these reasons, experts strongly recommend that homeowners should be quick to act on mold growth. Acting on it immediately will mitigate not just the damage but also the possible expenses.
Dangers of Mold
Experts cannot emphasize enough why property owners should swiftly react to mold growth following a flooding incident. Apart from risking sizeable damage and expense, negligence can affect the insurance coverage of the mold damage. When the insurance provider finds out that there was a failure to report flood damage immediately, and mold grew because of the unaddressed destruction, it could decline to cover the repair expenses.
Here are the dangers of mold following a home flooding:
- Allergy attacks. While some people may be fine with a minimal presence of molds, those who have bronchial asthma or allergic rhinitis may not take it well. Inhaling the spores can mean more persistent allergy attacks, if not prolonged ones. Doctors usually say that when other triggers have been ruled out, but the attacks seem constant, the patient should leave the house for a while. Once the symptoms clear up, he should return and see if the attacks get triggered once again. If there indeed was another bronchial or rhinitis attack, then it could be molds that are lurking beneath walls or within cabinets.
- Constant Migraines. A headache that does not go away may also be attributed to molds. Mold spores can cause migraines. If the problems are on and off, it is best to do a visual inspection of the home to determine mold presence.
- Molds are a health risk for the elderly. The elderly, even those at the pink of health, may suffer health problems due to molds. When exposed to mold spores regularly, they can develop respiratory or breathing issues. It is best to ensure that molds will not be a problem following a flooding incident when there is a senior household member.
- Health hazard to Infants and young children. Young children are susceptible to the health problems brought by molds. Since their respiratory system and other organs have yet to be fully developed, their bodies may not be too strong to shun the negative health impact of molds. Some studies have revealed that young children can develop bronchial asthma with consistent exposure to mold spores. Some children also develop rhinitis among other pulmonary problems.
- Molds are a significant health risk for the immunocompromised. The health condition of Individuals who have been ill or are currently afflicted with a chronic or acute illness will worsen when they are exposed to mold spores. Mold spores produce mycotoxins that are harmful to human health, especially to those who are sick already.
- Mold spores can be equally risky for domesticated animals. Dogs, cats, and other house pets also run the risk of getting harmed. If inhaling spores can be dangerous to the health, what more ingesting them such as what an animal might do. Molds can be toxic and could even prove fatal to the health of animals. To know if an animal has ingested molds or inhaled spores, observe some bodily reactions. Gastrointestinal disturbances, loose stools, and vomiting signify that the house pet may have ingested toxic molds. On the other hand, inhaling mold spores would prompt respiratory distress unto a cat or a dog.
- Molds can cause structural problems. Another risk of mold growth is rotting. The structure of a house may start to rot when there is unchecked mold growth. Mold loves moisture, and when porous materials such as wood have constant moisture, it is bound to get damaged. The structural integrity of the whole residential property will be destroyed.
- Molds affect indoor air quality. Apart from spreading toxic mold spores all over the house, molds can cause a home to smell unpleasant. This unpleasant smell is more of musty and can trigger allergies, and migraines.
Molds that are caused by flooding can be very insidious. A property owner must act immediately on the matter to mitigate the destruction it can bring about. Unaddressed mold issues may cause a myriad of health problems to both humans and pets. It endangers the whole property’s structural integrity. Moreover, it can cause the market value of a home to plummet. Flooding can be disastrous, and molds is another disaster that has to be dealt with when flood damage has not been appropriately addressed.